ABOUT THE BOOK

Raised in the tumult of Japan’s industrial powerhouse, the 11 men and women profiled in A Different Kind of Luxury have all made the transition to sustainable, fulfilling lives. Based on Andy Couturier's popular articles in The Japan Times, this lushly designed volume has a wealth of stories about real people who have created an abundance of time for contemplation, connecting with the natural world, and contributing to their communities. In their success is a lesson for us all: live a life that matters. Read an excerpt of the book here or here. Read a review of the book here, here, or here.


Sunday, October 3, 2010

What Does Nakamura Think of Email?

Hank Glassman, a professor of Buddhist Studies at Haverford University told me this little story about when he was visiting Nakamura in the mid 1990s and he explained to Nakamura what email was.  I said, "Hank, do you remember what Nakamura told you?"  Here's his answer:

Yes, I remember well -- Nakamura asked if I feel excited to check it -- like 'Is a little gift waiting there?' -- with an impish lilt he said, "Hmm... I wonder, has something come for me, I wonder, I wonder?" -- and then disappointed if there is nothing. He said something along these lines -- that there is a sense of anticipation that takes one out of the task at hand and away from the present moment. And he added, "It sounds horrific."
Nakamura making a cover for a hand-bound book

Hank then added, "at that time, I had no idea what the future of email held for me. Utterly overwhelming."

No comments:

Post a Comment