ABOUT THE BOOK

Raised in the tumult of Japan’s industrial powerhouse, the 11 men and women profiled in A Different Kind of Luxury have all made the transition to sustainable, fulfilling lives. Based on Andy Couturier's popular articles in The Japan Times, this lushly designed volume has a wealth of stories about real people who have created an abundance of time for contemplation, connecting with the natural world, and contributing to their communities. In their success is a lesson for us all: live a life that matters. Read an excerpt of the book here or here. Read a review of the book here, here, or here.


Sunday, August 15, 2010

Young Japanese Flute Player Inspired by ADKL and Sets Off on Foot

I just got an inspiring email from a man named Sekiya Yuya who lives in Japan, and the book has "given him confidence that there's a more natural way" to live in his home country.

Murata's Flute
Wow,  thanks for writing to me.  I have been just thinking about you!  I ordered your book from a book store and just read the chapter on Kogan Murata. (chapter 4--Here's an excerpt from a previous blog entry) It gave me great feelings and inspirations, especially because I am in the same flute tradition.  Each chapter gave me a new way to look at Japan. I have read Oe Masanori's (Chapter 11) books, so I was surprised that you actually met with him.  I had to pass your book to my Japanese-American friend from Hawaii, so I will order it one more time from a book store.

Recently I decided to leave Tokyo and travel in Japan by foot with my flute. Your book is one of the reasons, and gave me good news and confidence that there is more natural way to be in Japan, to seek the Way.  I hope someday I will meet people like you showed in the book, and find out and create good community in nature.

 Sekiya Yuya

No comments:

Post a Comment